Friday, November 28, 2014

Week Thirteen: The Aquatic Uncle

1. Are there any prominent symbols in the story-- if so, what are they and how are they used?
I think some of the biggest symbols in The Aquatic Uncle lay in the plot device of the younger generations being more 'progressive' in terms of literally progressing onto land with their new paws. A big central theme of this story is the clashing between the younger generation that has moved onto land and their stubborn great-uncle, who is embarrassingly set cold in his old ways and in the tradition of his people. The story uses the very literal plot device of 'land vs. water' to exacerbate the argument between the narrator and his uncle, and to drive the point home of the narrator's incredulousness when his fiancĂ© leaves him to be with his uncle in the water.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
I'm definitely able to connect with the sensation of not being able to see eye-to-eye with older members of my family (namely, my parents). I feel for the narrator and I can relate to his stress, frustration and embarrassment over the ridiculous nonsense his grandfather spouts. I also have a lot of contention with my family members over subjects with which they feel are a part of their tradition or simply is just 'the way they are' according to how they grew up and how popular culture was at that time. I definitely feel for the narrator and his incredulousness at his fiancĂ© leaving him and rejecting his way of life to be with his old-fashioned uncle... I can't say I'd take to that too well, either.

3. What changed would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I personally think that this story would make a great children's book. The ideas and imagery presented are not too complicated, but are still connected to an important real-world sensation that would be good to expose to a child early on. The imagery of using a fish-granduncle and his land-footed descendants is also perfect material to interpret cartoonishly and make quite visually appealing to any young kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment