Friday, November 28, 2014

Week Fourteen: Science Fiction Parody and Satire



This week, I had quite an interesting time listening to I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus, by the Firesign Theatre. I can say that it was pretty hard to keep up with this one... at first it seemed to be some sort of convention or class for people with big, honking noses, then turning into an abridged telling of the creation of human, and all sorts of weirdness after that. It didn't even follow a usual way of storytelling, rather, it seemed very candid and like it was happening as I listened to it (I suppose that's normally the way a radio play goes? I get them mixed up with audiobooks a lot of the time).

When a genre reaches the point of being satired, often it has reached full circle. This does not necessarily mean that new and amazing works of the genre will not still be produced, but rather, that the genre has been around for so long that many of its characteristics are easily recognizable. So much so that the point that if they are parodied, the viewer or listener can still identify the story as making fun of the tried-and-true genre in particular.

I enjoy satire a lot, and I think it's a particularly attractive outlet for comedy, done correctly that is. Even aside from the comedic aspect, parody can also be a way to point out what's wrong with our world and draw the viewer's attention to the problem. Hopefully this can help make the viewer more aware of the situation on a wide scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment